Samstag, 18. Februar 2012

At the education fair

Dear Mrs Amri's class,

today I made a trip to Hannover.
Now I know what "fair" means and you will know soon as well.

First we started in Braunschweig of course.
We took a modern train and this is a picture of the engine at the station.

It took us about an hour to go to Hannover.
Hannover is the capital of Lower Saxony, the state of Langeoog and Braunschweig.
Mrs Schicke took me to a large place in front of Hannover station.
There was a monument - a big horse and a horseman.
I liked the horse very much, but Mrs Schicke said, that the most important part of the monument is the equestrian, not the horse. Then she told me, that this is a monument for King Ernst August of Hannover.


You have never heard of him, do you?
So I'll tell what I've learned today.
More than 100 years the Kings of Hannover also were the King of Great Britain and Ireland. That were King George I, King George II, King George III, King George IV and King Wilhelm IV. But when King Wilhelm died, he had no children, only a niece, Victoria.
But in the laws of the kingdom of Hannover there was never thought of being reigned by a queen. Only kings were allowed. So the Kingdom of Hannover, Great Britain and Ireland was divided. Victoria became Queen of England and her uncle, Ernst August, became King of Hannover. His people didn't like him very much, but when he died, they built this monument for him. That was 180 years ago!
I don't think, that Ernst August was an important person in history. But it is interesting, that Great Britain once was reigned by German Kings and that they came from Hannover.

Hannover is the only city in the state of Lower Saxony which has got a tube.
Not a real tube: only beneath the city, the trail is hidden under the floor. In the suburbs, the underground comes overground and works just like a tram.
Here you can see an (old) engine of the tube.
Uh - it's dark in this station!

We took the under-over-ground and went to the fair.
There were a horrible lot of people and everywhere it was crowded.
Mrs Schicke offered me her rucksack to sleep in. But first I wanted to know, what a "fair" is.
This fair was a special fair for teachers and kindergardeners and ministries of education.
It takes place only once in four years, so everyone wants to go there.
People meet and talk, talk and discuss, even discuss and argue.
But because they`re all grown ups, they don't beat each other.
Publishers present their latest school books and educational toys and everyone can try and test everything.
Some exceptionel teachers are allowed to come there with their whole class to demonstrate good teaching to others. This is great fun for the students, because they get a lot of presents.

I especially looked for other animals at the fair.
First I met a very friendly tiger. Do you see me??

He told me, he is  "Math Tiger".
You can have a look at him doing maths.
Here he is looking for numbers.
Here he is learning what "minus" means.
Math Tiger is learning about tenths and ones.
And here Math tiger reads the time.

Then I met a sea eagle. First he seemed to be somehow interested, but then he tried to attack me! AAAArghh!!


Don't be afraid! We were just kidding around :)

At last I met a common hamster and a badger. I like the black and white stripes of the badger - reminds me to skunks ;) But the badger told me, there are no wild skunks in europe, just only in the zoo.


I definitely had a great time at the fair in Hannover!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen