Montag, 20. Februar 2012

Carnival, Carnival!

Hi Mrs Amri's class!

Yesterday was a very special day - Carnival day in Braunschweig.
We went to see the parade.
First we had to pass the medieval part of the town.

You see all the nice wooden framework.
Houses were rather high and "deep" in those times, but not very wide.
This was, because people had to pay a tax for their houses and the amount of this tax depended on the length of the house at the streetfront. So they kept this side of the house as small as possibel - except they wanted to representate their wealth.
These houses are kept not so well, but you can see a very, very small house - just two windows wide at the front.

Can you draw a framework house? Or even build a model??
Try to omit the diagonal rods. What happens?

Everywhere I saw people dressed up.
I saw tigers and dragons, monsters and batmen, smurfs and vikings.
And then I met someone, you know very well :
I even saw a laughing house!

I was very astonished. Never before I had heard of a house like this.
It was colorful and looked crazy. No straight line anywhere!
Mrs Schicke told me, that this house is a project of the american artist James Rizzi.
So I took a closer look and I saw a lot of funny details. And hearts, hearts, hearts everywhere.


Cloudy windows!

I LOVE YOU!

Everywhere people prepared for the parade.
The street was very crowded. Then I heard a funny music. I asked Mrs Schicke to bring me there.
It was an orchestra of hand organs.
They had a lot of instruments played mechanically, when the organ grinder turned the big wheels.
Mrs Schicke introduced me to them and then - big surprise! - they made a concert JUST FOR ME!!


As you see, I was even allowed to sit on one of the organs. Hello folks!!

The orchestra has got an own website and here it is:

The parade took more than four hours. There were many wagons and bands and dancers.
They throw sweets and chocolates and the children watching the parade are trying to get as many of this as they can.
It was a lot of fun!









1 Kommentar:

  1. Dear Eduardo,

    We loved the pictures of Carnival in Braunschweig! We think this it is similar to our Halloween celebration on October 31st each year. We really loved listening to the hand organ band! We have played it over and over, dancing to the music and laughing together. We are excited for you to be seeing so many beautiful buildings there too. You look very cute in your pictures!

    Love, Mrs. Amri's Class

    AntwortenLöschen